Skip to main content

The great Borges!


TWO ENGLISH POEMS
I
The useless dawn finds me in a deserted streetcorner; I have
outlived the night.
Nights are proud waves: darkblue topheavy waves laden with all
hues of deep spoil, laden with things unlikely and desirable.
Nights have a habit of mysterious gifts and refusals, of things
half given away, half, withheld, of joys with a dark
hemisphere. Nights act that way, I tell you.
The surge, that night, left me the customary shreds and odd
ends: some hated friends to chat with, music for dreams,
and the smoking of bitter ashes. The things my hungry
heart has no use for.
The big wave brought you.
Words, any words, your laughter; and you so lazily and incessantly
beautiful. We talked and you have forgotten the words.
The shattering dawn finds me in a deserted street of my city.
Your profile turned away, the sounds that go to make your name,
the lilt of your laughter: these are illustrious toys
you have left me.
I turn them over in the dawn, I lose them, I find them; I tell
them to the few stray dogs and to the few stray stars
of the dawn.
Your dark rich life…
I must get at you, somehow: I put away those illustrious toys
you have left me, I want your hidden look, your real smile
—that lonely, mocking smile your cool mirror knows.


II
What can I hold you with?
I offer you lean streets, desperate sunsets, the moon of ragged
suburbs.
I offer you the bitterness of a man who has looked long and long
at the lonely moon.
I offer you my ancestors, my dead men, the ghosts that living men
have honoured in marble: my father’s father killed in the
frontier of Buenos Aires, two bullets through his lungs,
bearded and dead, wrapped by his soldiers in the hide
of a cow; my mother’s grandfather –just twenty four-
heading a charged of three hundred men in Peru, now
ghosts on vanished horses.
I offer you whatever insight my books may hold, whatever man-
liness or humour my life.
I offer you the loyalty of a man who has never been loyal.
I offer you that kernel of myself that I have saved, somehow –the
central heart that deals not in words, traffics not with
dreams and is untouched by time, by joy, by adversities.
I offer you the memory of yellow rose seen at sunset, years
before you were born.
I offer you explanations of yourself,
theories about yourself, authentic and surprising news of yourself.
I can give you my loneliness, my darkness, the hunger of my
heart; I am trying to bribe you with
uncertainty, with danger, with defeat.
1934
— Jorge Luis Borges, from the book 'El otro, el mismo'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love is..

After quite a few years, I am back to the blog! This time round, I am going to offer some of my writing. As English is not my first language, I have certain amount of nervousness doing this, but I also have trust that what needs to be communicated, will be! So, to begin this journey, here is my recent musing on love: Honey (2013) by Andy Van Dinh The simplest yet most profound form of our human journey is one of Love.  Magical and indescribable, often misconstrued, oppressed, secret and untapped, but mostly passionate, beautiful, sensual, sexual and essential. Love is a myriad of faces, in one.  Love cannot be won, coaxed, willed or owned, only recognized. Stretching us between heavenly longing and earthly belonging, love is each of our mysterious call to a life of exciting discovery.  Like a curious Child, love nudges us towards places unreachable by the overtly critical eyes. From within the darkness, it beckons us to enter the wild, the hidden and the yet untouched

Pictures from the Transition 9

We've uploaded photos showing some of the work we've been doing at the Transition 9. Here is a few, the rest are on our art events and gallery page. Any enquiries or comments gladly received... Photos bellow are copyright of Steve Tanner

Tango – Ecstatic Flight Through the Senses

Picture artist unknown Preparing to dance, I stretch out my sense-antennas.  I scan the distance by listening through my body. I smell, I observe and finally notice.  Upon gestural agreement, gently, I touch my partner.  We get closer and closer. We drop into the meeting of our skins - the periphery at which we affirm our separation, as well as begin to flow into and through one another. And, as we softly spread along this permeable boundary, our breathing, now via the skin pores, begins to expand and relax too. At that moment, I begin to feel a pull towards the darkness of the inner caves and caverns of our bodies – the deeper intimacy. I turn to the inner eye, the senses that ' see'  in the dark. And within this realm of imagination, but also simply bodily knowing, I begin to track, not only shapes, but also the core impulses of our movement.   I continue to sense, although that sense has now become a full-bodied feeling. I half or even fully close my eye